Monday, February 9, 2009

Scott Pilgrim vs. The Universe Vol. 5

One of the joys of watching my sons grow has been introducing them to some of the comics that I've enjoyed over the years.

My oldest son is only marginally interested in comics, but my youngest son is a big fan, and (if I do say so myself) he has excellent taste in comics.

He's the one who introduced me to the world of Scott Pilgrim, who stars in a series of graphic novels. Scott (who will soon star in a major motion picture) lives in a world that seems almost normal.

He plays in a band, he mooches off friends, and things seem to be going fine until he falls in love with a girl named Ramona Flowers. Unfortunately for Scott, there's a major obstacle standing in the way of true romance - Ramona's evil ex-lovers, all of whom Scott must defeat to have a clear path to Ramona's heart.

And that's where the video game influences pop up, and they're always funny and entertaining. In this volume, Scott must face off against twins who bring along a series of deadly weapons.

But at its heart, these stories are about Scott's relationships, including his family, friends, ex-girlfriends and casual acquaintances.

Writer and artist Bryan Lee O'Malley has created a world that's fresh, fast-paced and always entertaining. The art has a great energy to it, and the story flows along briskly, with lots of surprising twists and turns along the way.

I recommend tracking down all five volumes to get the most out of Pilgrim's progress.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to drop this in the mail to my youngest son, who's anxiously awaiting this volume.

Grade: A-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, dad. Glad you enjoyed it.

Chuck said...

Anon, Do I know you?

(I kid! I kid!)