Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sherlock Holmes #1

There are lots of bad Sherlock Holmes adaptations and knock-offs out there in the literary world - and quite a few good ones, I should add - so I approached this series with no small amount of trepidation.

I've read and enjoyed all of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original Holmes stories, so I'm always hoping a new author can capture the real detective and provide us with a new story worthy of the originals.

It's too soon to say that this issue manages that difficult feat, but it's certainly a good start.

The cover by John Cassaday, for example, is outstanding. The interior art by Aaron Campbell is quite good, too. It's not flashy at all, but it captures the era well and sets the moody setting.

The story by Leah Moore and John Reppion is solid so far, although we just get the setup in this first issue.

The story follows the investigation into a massive explosion that destroyed a warehouse in the East End of London (located at the too-cute address at the corner of Doyle's Street and Challenger Lane).

Threats are made to the life of an elderly gentleman, so Holmes investigates, along with his friend Dr. Watson, and the result finds Holmes in unfamiliar territory.

There's still a lot of story to unfold, and some may quibble with the characterization of Holmes at the end of the story, but so far I'm enjoying this one. I do look forward to seeing more of Holmes' analytical side, though.

And I managed to get through the review without a single mention of the word "elementary!" Well, except for that one.

Grade: B+

2 comments:

Cephas said...

I picked this up too with some trepidation. I would give it a B. I thought the art was very good in places but weak in others. I know the writers were trying for the Victorian feel but it seemed to me just a little off, a bit amateurish. But we'll see--the ending was a twist I didn't expect and so we'll see where we go. I'm like you though, Chuck, I love the character and have enjoyed many of Holmes' incarnations. I thought the look was good here but we'll see how it goes.

BTW have you heard of the new Holmes movie coming later this year with Robert Downey Jr.? Looking forward to that but I'm sure it will play havoc with Mr. Holmes' character!

Chuck said...

Pete, I'm looking forward to that movie, too, although as always with these things I approach them with some trepidation. The best approach seems to be to hope for the best and expect the worst.