Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Classics - Sandman #8

Here's a terrific comic that didn't cost a cent. No, I didn't get it by trading or stealing.

I got this issue of Neil Gaiman's Sandman as a gift. At the time it was issued (the cover date is August 1989) I got all my comics through Westfield Comics, an excellent subscription service which is still up and running today and still providing great service - highly recommended, and tell 'em Chuck sent you! (OK, end of plug.)

As I recall, DC Comics and Westfield went together to offer this complimentary issue as a way to promote the series, which was starting to get some serious buzz from the fans.

It was a promotion that worked well on me - I added Sandman to my list after that, and got them all right up to the last issue.

The fantasy series focuses on the character Dream, the personification of the world of sleep and the imagination. He's just one member of a family of similar creatures, and is closest to the sister introduced in this issue, Death.

The setting allowed the exploration of all kinds of stories, including love, damnation, destruction, creation - you name it. Gaiman built a lush mythology all his own, and peopled it with fascinating characters, heroes and monsters.

It's the series that established Neil Gaiman as one of the outstanding modern fantasy writers, and the heir apparent to Alan Moore's crown.

I don't want to give away too much about this particular issue, but it explores the nature of death and life and is one of the better single issue comics in modern memory.

The Sandman comics have been collected many times over, and if you're inclined toward thoughtful fantasy, then you can't go wrong with any of the collections (though I should add that most of them include adult content).

The stories are intelligent, thoughtful and clever - always a good read. The series was also blessed with an array of outstanding artists, such as this issue's Mike Dringenberg and Malcolm Jones III.

Of course, the series is now known as a classic, so I'm not really telling most of you reading this anything new. But it does give me a chance to say "Thanks" to my pals at Westfield Comics for introducing me to one of the most literate comics in the history of the genre.

Hopefully I've passed the favor along to other readers out there!

Grade: A+

No comments: