Monday, March 29, 2010

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World #1

Right up front let me admit that I haven't read any of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books.

I have friends who are big fans, and perhaps I'll get around to reading the books one of these days - but first, I thought I'd give this comic adaptation a try.

I definitely had the feel of jumping into the deep end of the pool, as I struggled to sort out all the characters and the mythology behind the series.

The story introduces us to several young people growing up in a rural community, giving us some clues about the structure of their society along the way. On the other end of the scale, it recaps some of the World-shaking confrontations between good and evil that have shaped this reality.

As you'd expect from a first issue, most of the story goes to introductions and setting the stage. Luckily, scripter Chuck Dixon is a master at this kind of clear, professional storytelling, and he keeps it all moving along and making sense.

The art is by Chase Conley, and he faces the challenging task of creating the look for a large number of characters who must be easily identified without the usual garish superhero costumes. He does good work here, and gives a clean, dramatic look to the story.

This is definitely a must for fans of Robert Jordan's work. Those who aren't familiar with his work (like your truly) will struggle to keep up - but it's worth the fight.

Grade: B+

No comments: