Sunday, December 9, 2012

All-New X-Men #3

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Cyclops is now a villain (of sorts), since he's been treated as one for years now.

He's been portrayed as heartless, a cold-blooded leader who's calculating and without emotion. So it's no wonder that modern readers consider him a heel, and now, after his possession by the Phoenix Force, he's become a murderer and the leader of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

This is particularly annoying to a certain longtime fan I could name (that would be me) who's been reading the X-Men since virtually the first issue, and who always liked Cyclops as a hero who grew up "on camera" and became a dynamic leader.

That was all before he became the jerk we see now in the All-New X-Men.

So that part I don't care for. I also don't like the odd storyline that has several of the mutants unable to control their powers - it just seems random, like something the writer pulled out of a hat to stir things up (rather than an event that was foreshadowed in any way).

The comic does have wonderful art by Stuart Immonen and Wade Von Grawbadger, of course.

I'm here more for the art than anything else - which is surprising for a book written by Brian Bendis. But there's still plenty of time for him to make this work - but so far, I'm struggling to get on board.

Grade: B

--------------------

No comments: