Sunday, January 13, 2013

Earth 2 #8

Sigh.

I keep buying this comic waiting for the real James Robinson to show up.

He's the writer who created so many great issues of Justice Society and Starman - but his work on Earth 2 feels like a different writer at work.

It's loaded with unlikeable characters, all reboots of classic characters. It's a grim world loaded with hopelessness and destruction.

And this issue, even more so. It focuses on the Warlord from Apokolips, Steppenwolf, who has been hiding in a small country - and then things get ugly. And we meet his powerful ally, a woman warrior wearing (of course) a skimpy costume.

The issue, frankly, makes me sad. For some reason, they decided to change Steppenwolf's classic Kirby look into a standard "big musclebound guy in armor." The entire issue is given over to his story - no sign of the other members of the JSA here - so it's all death and destruction.

The art by Yildiray Cinar is good, solid superhero fare - and he certainly has a knack for drawing beautiful women.

But eight issues into this series and I'm only hanging around because I was such a fan of the original Earth 2 concept - but so far, this has been very disappointing. I don't think I can hang on much longer.

Grade: C+

----------------





3 comments:

Glen Davis said...

I bailed out a while ago. I really think DC went the wrong direction with this series.

Chuck said...

I've been hanging with it thinking James Robinson will reveal a brilliant idea to tie it all together - but that hope is waning fast.

Dougie said...

I think Robinson is really overrated. In any case, I gave up on this depressing, derivative and painfully slow 90s throwback a couple of months ago. Looks like I made the right decision.