Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hawkeye #7

I've been meaning to pick up this series, because friends have been raving about it.

And I've always liked Hawkeye - but for some reason this title flew under my radar.

But when they announced that proceeds from the sale of this issue would go to help the victims of Superstorm Sandy, how could I resist?

So I'm happy to report that the word of mouth was spot on - this is a great comic!

Matt Fraction provides a story that takes the two Hawkeyes - Clint Barton, the card-carrying Avenger, and Kate Bishop, the teen who took the name when the original Hawkeye "died." (He got better.)

They're both "real world" stories about what each hero encountered when the storm hit New York and New Jersey. The stories are a great mix of drama, humor and real-world tragedy.

The art is a perfect match as Steve Lieber gives a striking, real-world look to the older Hawkeye's neighborhood adventure, and Jesse Hamm takes a more lighthearted approach to the younger Hawkeye's wedding party from Hades.

With great dialogue, interesting characters and terrific art, this title has made its way onto my "must buy" list. I recommend you go out and do likewise.

Now to see how difficult it is to track down the previous six issues...

Grade: A

-----------------

No comments: