Saturday, January 4, 2014

Superman Unchained #5

   So I've read all five issues of this series and continue to be surprised that it's really not working for me.

   Jim Lee's art is exceptional as always, but what's unexpected is that Scott Snyder's script isn't working for me - which I wouldn't have expected, since his work on Batman has been exceptional.

   But Superman Unchained is trying so hard to be a dark examination of the Man of Steel (rather like the film was, I suppose), that it doesn't seem to be a Superman comic at all (again, like the film).

   This issue even makes the cardinal mistake of pointing out the mortality of Superman's friends - which isn't true at all.

   Oh sure, in the real world Lois and Perry and Jimmy would age (perhaps Clark would, too) - but the reality of it is, they don't age at all. They've been around since the late '30s, after all, and they all seem just as young and vial as they were then (I'll grant that their fashions have changed).

   Add to that the menace of Ascension (whose motivations aren't clear at all), an alternate history for the Earth's technology,  and the menace of the Wraith, a coldblooded version of Superman.

   Perhaps what the series needs is some humor - a ray of hope. Right now, it's all darkness and gloom.

Grade: B

-----------------

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to Friday's review?

Sam Kujava

Chuck said...

You caught me, Sam! I was in the hospital Friday having outpatient surgery (Kidney stones are no fun at all, trust me), and I didn't feel up to writing anything until today. Sorry to have missed a day, but I do have a doctor's excuse! ;-)

Anonymous said...

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Thor+Superman/9343538/story.html

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, Chuck, and I hope you're feeling much better!
Write when you can; we check in regularly to read your reviews and take it for granted that you can just crank 'em out on a daily basis.

Sam Kujava

Chuck said...

Appreciate it, Sam - I seem to be recovering well - still a little woozy. A couple of days more and I should be back to my old ornery self. I usually try to work ahead when I know I have a "down" day coming up, but I didn't make it this time. It makes me happy to know you guys are watching out for me! ;-)

Anon, thanks for the link to the article saying "Thor is the new Superman" - I agree with the article, as this review shows.