Monday, June 30, 2014

Batman #32

   I have to be honest - I was never all that crazy about The Riddler.

   I liked Frank Gorshin's manic version on the '60s Batman TV show (what a terrific laugh), but other than that, the character just seemed like a bland version of the Joker.

   I'm happy to report that this "Zero Hour" storyline has done a lot to raise that character up - although I have to admit, the main reason he seems intimidating is because this is Batman at the beginning of his career.

   Thankfully, the Dark Knight is learning fast, and the fate of Gotham is riding on his ability to outwit Edward Nygma (with the aid of some allies).

   I suspect Scott Snyder's story will "read" better as a collection - the story has been cruising along for months now, and some elements (I must admit) have slipped away from me. (Your mileage may vary.)

   The art by Greg Capullo and Danny Miki is excellent as always - they've maintained a very high standard on this title, and are among the top artists working at DC now.

   Next issue promises a brain-busting finale. I can't wait!

Grade: A-

-----------------------

No comments: