Thursday, September 4, 2014

Original Sin #8 (of 8)

   Well, it's a bit difficult to give this issue a review, because it's almost impossible to talk about it without giving away key elements of the story.

   The series has been all about secrets revealed, providing some key changes in a few characters, and solving the mystery of the assassination of Uatu the Watcher.

   I've also been predicting all along that the issue would write the original Nick Fury out of the Marvel Universe - at least for now. (Adding to that belief was the recent elimination of Dum Dum Dugan in the Original Sins sidebar series).

   My "no spoilers" policy makes it impossible to talk about what happened, so let me instead look at the entire series.

   The artwork has been fabulous.

   The story was terrible. Its only accomplishment is killing off Uatu, one of the oldest characters in modern Marvel continuity, and the only reason for the death was for shock value.

   The whole thing just reads like fan fiction, where characters are given new, absurd backstories, others are killed for no reason, third-rate villains take center stage, and by the end no permanent (or worthwhile) change has taken place.

   In other words, you feel like you wasted your time.

   But the art is nice.

Grade: C-

----------------------------

2 comments:

Cephas said...

Agree. Deodato is simply astonishing. Gorgeous art. Still not sure what happens though. I vote that you share spoiler-y stuff in the comments, so people don't have to look. Or else start another blog where you let it all hang out!
Pete

Chuck said...

Start another blog? I can't keep up with this one!

I don't mind discussing spoilers in the comments (as long as they come with a SPOILER WARNING) - I'm just determined to keep them out of the reviews.

And I'm not sure what happened, either. I just know I didn't like it.