Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Civil War II #4 (of 7)

   I'm really struggling to keep an open mind about Civil War II, because I'm trying to keep my opinion from being colored by my negative reaction to the original mini-series.

   I've been hoping that this time around, the story would lean more toward the excellent film version - but I'm still on the fence here.

   That's because the story is a bit of a sludge, following the idea of an Inhuman named Ulysses who sees visions of the future - making it possible for heroes to act in time to stop major problems before they happen.

   It's an idea that Iron Man has been opposed to - and in this issue he explains why.

   It also focuses in on the problems the predictions cause - and on Captain Marvel's unwavering devotion to the predictions.

   The lesson of the film is that we have to be able to see both sides of the argument to secure the emotional punch of seeing two people who (deep down) like and respect each other being placed on opposite sides.

   The original mini-series simply gave us a hero (Captain America) and a villain (Iron Man). This series seems to be shaping up the same way, with Tony Stark being the hero this time, and Carol Danvers the villain.

   I hope I'm wrong and it comes together into a more coherent conflict (and eventual resolution). Right now it's looking a bit shaky.

Grade: B

------------------
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a hero version of the movie, "Minority Report." Wonder if Captain Marvel will have the same plot twist happen to her as Tom Cruise did.
It's also taking forever to get into the WAR part. They're going to stretch it to seven issues but I'll be it could've been done in four or five. We shall see.
--Bret