Wednesday, August 10, 2016

All Star Batman #1

   Man, somebody screwed up.

   Batman actually smiles in this issue.

   Which makes me happy, because "my" Batman - the one I grew up reading in the '60s and '70s - was not a grim, humorless machine, as he's been portrayed for years now.

   The one I liked could smile, laugh - even tell a joke from time to time. So here's hoping that he's back again, and not just making a "one-off" appearance.

   This issue by writer Scott Snyder and artists John Romita, Jr., and Danny Miki brings us a Dark Knight who's up against impossible odds.

    He's in the middle of a massive fight with multiple enemies that sprawls all over Gotham City - and include some surprising faces. The story is cleverly constructed and (natch) features powerful, dynamic art.

    I'm not sure about the logic of some of the events in this story, and I'm not sure if I like what it says about human nature - but I sure do like seeing a Batman who also happens to be a human.

   I'm hanging with this series.

Grade: A-

-------------------

No comments: