Sunday, September 18, 2016

Doctor Who 3rd #1

   I was trying to decide what to review next when I remembered this comment last Wednesday from my pal Sam Kujava: "I picked up Doctor Who 3rd #1 (as you list it) and quite liked it. The artist did a fine job capturing the likenesses of the main characters and the writer had a feel for British dialog of that time period. The characters sounded like themselves, and the reader was drawn into the unfolding events that much quicker. 
   The last page cliffhanger was surprising and delightful! I can't wait for the second issue to arrive!"
   I couldn't have said it better! The issue focuses on the Third Doctor, as played by Jon Pertwee - yet another terrific choice to fill the role, he offered an intelligent and athletic take on the character, packed behind a vivid, hound-dog-like face. You immediately like him.
   This issue feels like an episode of the original series as the Doctor and his military friends in U.N.I.T. (led by The Brigadier) - plus his lovely and capable assistant, Jo Grant - face an alien invasion by a strange, robotic menace.
    The story is by Paul Cornell and the art, which nicely captures the feel of the series and the look of the characters, is by Christopher Jones.
    If you're any kind of fan of The Doctor, I think you'll really enjoy this one. 
   I'm with Sam - I can't wait 'til the next issue!
Grade: A
-------------- 

No comments: